- Summary: The project “Higher Education on Food Security and Rural Development” combines the implementation of five specific and complementary actions aimed at improving the ongoing CIHEAM Master of Science degrees and advanced training courses for professionals.
- Promoter: International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies (CIHEAM).
The CIHEAM is an intergovernmental organisation that was founded following a joint initiative of the OECD and the Council of Europe on 21 May 1962 under an agreement signed by the governments of seven southern European countries which were joined by six other Mediterranean countries at a later stage. CIHEAMS’s mission is to provide post-graduate education, conduct research and develop cooperation in the fields of agriculture, food security and rural development among its 13 Mediterranean member countries.
- Background: Euro-Mediterranean Heads of States and Government recorded in the Joint Declaration of the Paris Summit (2008) the need to increase co-operation in the areas of agriculture, food safety and security. In effect, the role of CIHEAM has been crucial in developing these important issues.
- Location: The five actions will be executed at each of the four CIHEAM institutes (MAIs) located in France, Greece, Italy and Spain.
- Duration: Two years.
- Improving entrepreneurship, employability and gender issues
- Implementing a Mediterranean Doctoral Platform
- Developing e-learning
- Enhancing Quality Assurance Systems
- Strengthening Degree Recognition and Internationalization of MSc Degrees
- Beneficiaries: The project will benefit all professionals participating in the post-graduate programmes (members of competent authorities, officers in public administrations, agro-food industry managers, technical advisors, academics from Higher Education and Research Institutions, etc.). Certain funds will be allocated to students from Southern and Eastern Mediterranean countries applying for fellowships.
- Total cost: 1.200.000 €
- Committed Contributions:
CIHEAM: 840.000 €
Secretariat of the Union for the Mediterranean
Secretariat General of the CIHEAM
Tel : +22.214.171.124.91.00