Context and objectives
SEMED – Startup Europe Mediterranean is a digital platform that connects innovation actors across the Euro-Mediterranean region and allows innovation to thrive. The platform connects and creates opportunities for the entire ecosystem via a single point of access.
Launched in collaboration with the European Commission in Matera, European Capital of Culture 2019, the project forms an innovation ecosystem made up of different actors that come together and interact. The aim is to translate existing strengths in education and research in the region into innovation-driven economic growth.
Challenges faced by European and Mediterranean innovation actors are very similar across the region and there is a lot to learn from each other, especially regarding existing initiatives on both shores of the Mediterranean.
The project aims to increase connection between all actors and organisations in the Euro-Mediterranean innovation ecosystem, seeking maximum synergies and better access to information, knowledge, ideas, talent, capital, partnerships, public funding, business opportunities, and qualified services.
As a digital platform connecting a broad variety of stakeholders, SEMED aims at enhancing the nexus between innovation and employability, and increasing digitalisation in the Mediterranean.
Duration (pilot phase):
FacilityLive is an Italian high tech scaleup which develops a next-generation software platform for the organisation, management and search of information. With patents in 46 countries of the world, over €50M of private capital raised from 100 shareholders, a company valuation of €225M, and a strong innovative side – a real paradigm change in the man-machine relation and in the access to information – it is one of the most innovative European tech platforms.
This project is 100% funded by the promoter.
SEMED, being the digital platform that connects innovation ecosystems in the Euro-Mediterranean area, creates opportunities for the entire ecosystem: startups, investors, corporates, SMEs, innovators, incubators, accelerators, policymakers, research centres, universities, institutions, consortia, support services and communities.
- Develop and refine the SEMED platform in line with the specific features of the Euro-Mediterranean region: design and develop new services integrated in the platform and validated with users.
- Curate and increase the content of the platform: discover new sources of information and content to add and increase the current catalogue of publications while monitoring quality.
- Engage and increase participation with the ecosystem: identify and onboard ecosystem actors. A specific class of partnership called “Ecosystem Builder Connector” aims at supporting local ecosystems, which can be promoted on the platform and become known to the entire community thanks to the activities of the Connector. Ecosystem Builders share content about the ecosystem, promote SEMED inside the ecosystem and engage with all the actors on the platform.
- Increase visibility on SEMED among all Euro-Mediterranean innovation actors: develop and implement an extended communication plan.
- Become a self-sustaining digital ecosystem via a new and innovative model of public-private partnership.
The ambition of the project is to contribute to innovation, digital transformation, and sustainable economic growth in the Euro-Mediterranean region by interconnecting all the key actors of innovation ecosystems through a digital platform attuned to the requirements of the Euro-Mediterranean region.
Specifically, the expected results are as follows.
- Innovative validated digital services connecting all innovation actors and creating opportunities for everyone.
- Innovative access to information and knowledge to foster innovation and growth (News, Events, Webinars, Reports, Public Funding & Procurement, Initiatives, Policies & Regulations).
- An Innovative way of sharing information, knowledge, and opportunities between all the innovation actors.
- Increased awareness and perception of the advantages and values of the SEMED digital services and knowledge base to innovate and grow.
- A validated and populated digital platform.