Marseille, 12- 13 November 2018. The Secretary General of the UfM, Nasser Kamel, participated on November 12 and 13 2018, in the Conference “Mediterrranée du futur”, held in Marseille at the Mediterranean Villa, whose theme was: priority to youth and innovation. During this conference, the SG made an official speech during the closing session, alongside the French Minister of Europe and Foreign Affairs, Jean-Yves Le Drian and the President of the French Region Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, Renaud Muselier.
The French Minister, on this occasion, presented the French initiative “Sommet des Deux Rives”, announced its organization in Marseille and exposed the main lines relating to the organization of this event.
Highlighting the important role the UfM plays in this process, Le Drian defined the UfM as a “major partner” in the organization of this “big event”. On the other hand, the SG confirmed the UfM’s willingness to support the French project.
During the opening session, the UfM’s SG also made a speech, along with the President of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur Region, Renaud Muselier, the President of the Anna Lindh Foundation, Elisabeth Guigou and the Interministerial Delegate Ambassador to the Mediterranean, Pierre Duquesne. He expressed his joy at being present in Marseille, “Mediterranean capital par excellence”, which offered him the opportunity to reiterate the UfM’s commitment towards youth, a key sector in the UfM action and activities and to reiterate its support for the success of the “Sommet des Deux Rives”, launched by President Emmanuel Macron, which will allow the UfM to reaffirm its place in the Mediterranean project.
On this occasion, UfM’s SG had a meeting with the President of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur Region, Mr. Renaud Muselier, with whom he exchanged on several points of interest, notably the organization of the Summit of the Two Rives on June 24, 2019 in Marseille, reaffirming the UfM’s willingness to participate in the preparations for this Summit and to establish the modalities of UfM cooperation in organizing this event.
On the sidelines of this Conference, the SG signed with the Center for Integration in the Mediterranean a Memorandum of Understanding on November 12, 2018, at the Hotel de Région.
- 18 January 2019: Foreign Ministers of the Western Mediterranean called for reinforced regional collaboration to face pressing challenges and commitment to a shared vision of a sustainable future
- 8 April 2019: The UfM participates in Algiers in the first thematic forum leading to the Summit of the Two Shores
- 25 April 2019: Investing in a Mediterranean Generation: UfM participates in the Malta Forum on Youth, Education and Mobility
- 29 April 2019: Mediterranean Economy and Competitiveness Forum: Developing tangible initiatives to address the economic, competitiveness and innovation challenges
- 2 May 2019: “Creating new cultural momentum in the Western Mediterranean”: UfM participates in the Montpellier Forum on Culture, Media and Tourism Forum
- 22-23 May 2019: The UfM organised a Regional Dialogue to gather insights from youth and civil society to further strengthens its roadmap for actions and participates in the Summit of the Two Shores
- 12 June 2019: 100 civil society personalities present key development projects for the region