In the wake of the collaboration initiated on occasion of the GUNi International Conference on Sustainable Development Goals: Actors and Implementation, held in September 2017, the Global University Network for Innovation (GUNi Network) and the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) established, on the 23rd of May 2018, a cooperation framework for the upcoming three years through the signature of a Memorandum of Understanding covering all UfM areas of activity and aimed at continuing to work together in accordance to the mission and objectives of both institutions.
One of the first activities whereby the GUNi Network and the UfM Secretariat will be collaborating is the publication of the Report Higher Education in the World (HEIW) n. 7 “Humanities and Higher Education; Generating Synergies between Science, Technology and Humanities”. In particular, the UfM will coordinate a specific chapter of the report containing the contributions of several authors from UfM Member States. Authors, to be identified and selected through the present Call for Contributions, are encouraged to send their abstracts and papers on the following selected thematic areas addressed from a Euro-Mediterranean perspective:
1. WORLDWIDE CONTEXT:
* What is the relationship between humanities, science and technology in different societies around the world?
* What roles do universities play in the defense and promotion of humanistic approaches in all areas of knowledge and how are those roles addressed in the world’s different education systems?
* How should the relationship between university education and what happens before and after (i.e. between the compulsory education system and lifelong learning) be addressed today?
* What skills and abilities need to be acquired in order to deal with the current changes to the employment, social and economic system on a global level?
3. GENDER AND EQUALITY
* How can equal gender opportunities in access to education and the choice and continuity of an academic and research career be encouraged today?
* How can the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) be developed in the different fields of knowledge?
- Deadline for abstracts submission: 30th of September 2018 (23:59 UTC+2 – Barcelona time)
- Publication list of selected authors: Before the 15th of November 2018
- Deadline for draft papers submission: 31st of January 2019
- Deadline for final papers submission: 31st of March 2019
- Authors must send the abstracts and papers, together with their CV, at the following email: [email protected]
- The length of papers should be between 3,000 and 4,000 words. Abstracts should have between 200 and 300 words.
- In order to make the texts more dynamic, authors are asked to use subtitles to distinguish between the different sections of the text.
- Authors are invited to select 2-3 images, graphs and charts to better illustrate the article.
- Authors are requested to include the following items in their papers: Good practices, Key ideas, Recommendations as well as Conclusions and final comments.
Although the report is an English language publication, papers may be submitted in French; if accepted for publication, the cost of translation will be covered by the UfMS.
An Evaluation Committee will be composed by four members: two from the UfMS and two from the GUNi Network.