Lima, 4 December 2014
Organised by the European Commission (DG Climate Action) and the Secretariat of the Union for the Mediterranean, the event ‘Mediterranean Cooperation on Climate Change: Union for the Mediterranean’ will be held on the sidelines of the 20th session of the Conference of the Parties to the UNFCCC, at the European Union Pavilion in Lima.
The speakers will include:
- Ms Elina BARDRAM, Deputy Head of EU delegation, European Commission – DG Climate Action; (TBC)
- Ms Teresa RIBEIRO, Deputy Secretary General for Energy, Secretariat of the Union for the Mediterranean;
- Mr Nbou MOHAMED, Director of Studies, Planning and Forecasting of the Ministry for Environment, Morocco;
- Mr Imed FADHEL, Director of the National Focal Point for the UNFCCC, Tunisia;
- Ministry of Environment and Urbanisation, Turkey (speaker TBC).
The event will showcase how a complex system of relevant initiatives, programs and structures may be brought together in order to create synergies, while including stakeholders, the private sector and various levels of governance. The talks will concretely focus on the established cooperation within the Union for the Mediterranean Climate Change Expert Group (UfMCCEG), namely the agreed work plan and its relevance to international climate change negotiations. It will present the outcomes of its first meeting, as well as several existing and planned initiatives in order to enhance regional cooperation on climate change in line with the priorities defined by the Union for the Mediterranean Member States.
In addition, Morocco, Tunisia and Turkey will present their ongoing national climate change strategies and activities. Their presentations will provide an opportunity to highlight the potential for further expansion of climate action to other countries in the region, under the principles of variable-geometry, partnership and inclusiveness.
The event will be followed by a cocktail reception for the participants.