Euro-Mediterranean Guarantee Network (EMGN)
Context and objectives
The EMGN project aims at facilitating access to finance, in particular for MSMEs, by gathering guarantee schemes active the Euro-Mediterranean region around 4 closely related actions: training, research and development, advocacy and communication and knowledge sharing.
The project addresses access to finance for MSMEs, one of the priorities of the UfM regional dialogue on Industrial Cooperation and one of the top priorities in the region, as well as in the new EU agenda for the Mediterranean. Support to MSMEs is key for the socio-economic development of the Euro-Mediterranean region, since, although they account for 90-95% of all registered companies and employ a great majority of the labour force, they are particularly excluded from financial markets.
The project is promoted by the European Institute of the Mediterranean (IEMed), as lead promoter, the Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association (EMEA) and German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ). It is implemented in 9 UfM countries, with the vision of enlarging the network to additional guarantee schemes from other countries of the region and, in addition, aiming at the creation of a regional counter guarantee mechanism.
Total cost: 1.315.449 euros. 65% of the cost of the project is secured through in-kind contributions of the promoters, while the remaining 35% has already been identified through a potential funding from GIZ.
IEMed (Lead promoter) : The European Institute of the Mediterranean, founded in 1989, is a consortium comprising the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the autonomous Catalan Government, and the Barcelona City Council.
EMEA: Aimed at contributing to the changing realities in the Euro-Mediterranean and Africa, EMEA brings together leading economists and high-level international and local experts to think for the future of the Euro-Mediterranean and Africa in a multi-polar world.
GIZ: the German Corporation for International Cooperation works with businesses, civil society and research institutions, to foster successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. GIZ’s main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development.
The EMGN first beneficiaries are the Credit Guarantee Schemes, constituted as full members of the network. However, the project’s goal is to create the conditions for MSMEs to have easier access to credit markets. In particular, the project intends to more than double the number of participating national member institutions from the original 8 member organisations to 16 member organisations, covering new beneficiary countries. The project also intends to develop 5 credit guarantee product for MSMEs and start-ups, one of them specifically targeting women-led enterprises.
Ex: Digitalisation; Enterprise Risk Management; Future Thinking and Strategy Transformation for CGIs; Green guarantee products
Research and Development
Working Groups: data collection and analysis; setting up a regional counter guarantee scheme; digitalisation
Euro-Mediterranean Code of Conduct for Credit Guarantees; Webinars and Annual Conferences
Communication and Knowledge
Sharing website, publications, newsletters, etc.
BRIDGE the knowledge gap as regards MSMEs access to finance in the region.
EXPAND guarantee schemes in the Northern and Southern Mediterranean and the advancement of Euro-Mediterranean cooperation in the area of credit guarantees.
INCREASE COOPERATION between EU, the Northern and Southern Mediterranean institutions active in the development of MSMEs and their access to finance, through i.e. the recently established European External Investment Plan.
SUPPORT the development of Northern and Southern Mediterranean guarantee schemes’ product range and particularly in the MSME segment
ENHANCE the operating environment of Northern and Southern Mediterranean guarantee schemes