22 June 2021. The internationalisation of higher education systems goes far beyond academic mobility: it involves integrating an intercultural and global dimension in the teaching methods and governance. Internationalisation is not a goal by itself, but a process aimed at enhancing the quality and standards of education and research, and at making a valuable contribution to society at large.
In an attempt to address regional needs and pave the way for a change of scale in the support mechanisms, the UfM launched a study, conducted by the Mediterranean Universities Union (UNIMED), with the aim of providing an effective tool for policymakers and other stakeholders. Adopting a comprehensive approach regarding internationalisation, the study presents an overview of the current regional situation in terms of higher education cooperation, mapping key features and patterns specific to the region.
The study’s recommendations are directed towards international organizations, governments, universities, and the civil society, demonstrating that only a joint effort shall guarantee the strengthening of this international dimension of education. They intend to provide stimulus for further joint discussion concerning tangible initiatives and projects, generating operational solutions to the obstacles identified in the analysis of the current situation, opening up a roadmap for change.
The event will be interpreted in English, French and Arabic.
10.30 Opening remarks
▪ Mr. Nasser Kamel, Secretary General of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM)
▪ Mr. Marcello Scalisi, Director of the Mediterranean Universities Union (UNIMED)
10.45 Presentation of the report
▪ Mr. Marco Di Donato, Ms. Anne-Laurence Pastorini, Ms. Martina Zipoli, Research Unit of
the Mediterranean Universities Union (UNIMED)
11.10 Session 1 : Towards a renewed Strategic Agenda for Higher Education in the Mediterranean
Moderator: Prof. Wail Benjelloun, UNIMED Honorary President
▪ Mr. Gianpaolo Suriano, Deputy Head of Unit International Cooperation, Directorate General
for Education, Youth, Sport and Culture (DG EAC), European Commission, UfM Co-presidency
▪ Mr. Mahmoud Abu-Hussein, Head of International Cooperation, Higher Council for Science
and Technology, Jordanian UfM Co-presidency
▪ Mr. Antoine Weexteen, Policy officer for Africa and Middle East cooperation, Ministry of
Higher Education, Research and Innovation, France
▪ Mr. Mohamed El Shinawi, Advisor to the Minister of Higher Education and Scientific
Research for International Cooperation, Egypt
12.00 Session 2: Capitalizing on the existing regional networks and collaborations
Moderator: Mr. João Lobo, Project Analyst, Union for the Mediterranean (UfM)
▪ Mr. Markus González Beilfuss, Vice-Rector for Internationalisation Policy, University of
▪ Ms. Naouel Abdellatif Mami, Vice-Rector for External Relations, Université Mohamed
Lamine Debaghine Sétif 2
▪ Mr. Giorgio Marinoni, Manager ofHigher Education Internationalisation Policy and Projects,
International Association of Universities (IAU)
▪ Ms. Olfa Zéribi, Directorfor Western Europe, Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF)
▪ Ms. Carla Edde, Vice-Rector for International Relations, Saint Joseph University of Beirut
12.55 Closing remarks
▪ Ms. Itaf Ben Abdallah, Senior Advisor on Higher Education and Research, Union for the