Med4Jobs is a flagship initiative of the Union for the Mediterranean to help increase the employability of youth and women, close the gap between labour demand and supply, and foster a culture of entrepreneurship and private sector development. Developed by the UfM Secretariat, Med4Jobs is a cross-sector initiative driven by the need for an integrated regional initiative in the area of job creation.
The “Mediterranean Initiative for Jobs (Med4Jobs)” is a programme developed by the UfM Secretariat with the aim to promote and replicate a number of visible private sector job creation projects in the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean region. Whereas growth in the Mediterranean in recent years has not enabled the creation of sufficient jobs, Med4Jobs will contribute towards bringing job creation at the centre of socio-economic development debate, notably by shedding light on employment at local/national level.
Med4Jobs is conceived as a cross-sectorial, project-based initiative. It will cover both the supply and demand side of the labour market, by targeting three core issues:
- Employability. By identifying and scaling-up across the region successful training experiences that address the mismatch between skills and labour market needs.
- Job intermediation. By replicating successful job facilitation and intermediation experiences.
- Business enabling infrastructure. By developing business enabling infrastructure for Small and Medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), such as incubators and coaching programmes.
The programme will focus on three approaches:
- Vertical approach, which will seek to ensure consistency and alignment with national employment frameworks defined by Ministries of Employment.
- Horizontal approach, through participation of a wide range of stakeholders such as international institutions, universities, private sector companies as well as the exchange of best-practice between countries.
- Bottom-up approach, which will aim, through projects, to raise awareness and generate reflection on ways to address the unemployment challenge in the region. Lessons learnt through Med4Jobs projects should also help policy-makers to better fine-tune their employment policies in the region.
Med4Jobs will seek to identify best practices in terms of job-creating projects and to replicate them in the region. It therefore can be defined as a programme of projects.
- Generation Entrepreneur
- Maharat Med – Developing Youth Employability & Entrepreneurial Skills
- MedNC – New Chance Mediterranean Network
- HOMERe – High Opportunity for Mediterranean Executive Recruitment
- Mediterranean Entrepreneurship Network
- Young Women as Job Creators
- The Euro-Mediterranean University of Fez
- Skills for Success – Employability Skills for Women
- Promoting women empowerment for inclusive and sustainable industrial development in the MENA region
- CEED GROW: Growing and Scaling Small and Medium-Sized Businesses
- YouMatch – Toolbox project
- Establishment of a Regional Platform for the Development of Culture and Creative Industries and Clusters in the Southern Mediterranean Countries
- BlueSkills: Blue Jobs and Responsible Growth in the Mediterranean