23-24 June 2019, Marseille. The Sommet des Deux Rives (Summit of the Two Shores) will be held in Marseille on 23-24 June 2019. The Summit will consist of both a meeting of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Western Mediterranean and a regional dialogue with prominent civil society representatives. This initiative seeks to foster a pragmatic regional socio-political exchange in order to showcase and launch specific projects in the region.
The UfM will be a key partner of the Summit in its role of platform for regional cooperation, bringing together all the European Union and Mediterranean countries. The UfM Secretary General, Nasser Kamel, had stressed earlier in an intervention in Marseille that “the best way to collectively strengthen our Mediterranean policy framework is to take advantage of existing institutions and relevant expertise established over the past few years to jointly build, hand in hand, a new dynamism capable of fulfilling all expectations and meeting all hopes”. In an effort to foster pragmatic regional dialogue in the context of the Summit of the Two Shores, the UfM organised a regional dialogue forum under the title “Shared views on key issues in the Mediterranean” on 22 and 23 May 2019 in Barcelona. This event sought to gather valuable insights of youth and civil society representatives as well as non-state actors from across the region on current challenges in the Mediterranean.
- 12- 13 November 2018: “Mediterranean of the Future”: UfM Secretary General participates in the conference on youth in Marseille
- 18 January 2019: Foreign Ministers of the Western Mediterranean called for reinforced regional collaboration to face pressing challenges and commitment to a shared vision of a sustainable future
- 8 April 2019: The UfM participates in Algiers in the first thematic forum leading to the Summit of the Two Shores
- 25 April, 2019: Investing in a Mediterranean Generation: UfM participates in the Malta Forum on Youth, Education and Mobility
- 29 April 2019: Mediterranean Economy and Competitiveness Forum: Developing tangible initiatives to address the economic, competitiveness and innovation challenges
- 2 May 2019: “Creating new cultural momentum in the Western Mediterranean”: UfM participates in the Montpellier Forum on Culture, Media and Tourism Forum
- 22-23 May 2019: The UfM organised a Regional Dialogue to gather insights from youth and civil society to further strengthens its roadmap for actions and participates in the Summit of the Two Shores
- 11-12 June 2019: 100 civil society personalities present key development projects for the region