The Mediterranean region has one of the highest rates of unemployment in the world. In this context, the Secretariat of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) is engaged in the implementation of specific projects and initiatives focused on the development of business, employment opportunities and employability skills.
There is particularly emphasis on youth and women, thus addressing cross-cutting issues such as the promotion of women's socio-economic empowerment and the enhancement of youth employability. Particular attention is devoted to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), vectors for innovation and economic growth in the Mediterranean region.
- Foster job creation and support the development of SMEs through the UfM Mediterranean Initiative for Jobs (Med4Jobs)
- Implement the strategy for private sector development
- Advance the digital economy and support creative industries in the region
- UfM Ministerial Conference on Employment and Labour (Marrakesh, 10 November 2008)
- UfM Ministerial Conference on Employment and Labour (Brussels, 22 November 2010)
- UfM Ministerial Conference on Industrial Cooperation (Brussels, 19 February 2014) - Declaration
- UfM Ministerial Conference on Digital Economy (Brussels, 30 September 2014) - Declaration