The Mediterranean is a sea that brings people together. It is a highway for commerce and exchanges. Easy and safe access to flows of goods and people over land and sea, is essential for improving relations, enhancing regional trade and consequently, for the prosperity and development of the region.
Within this context, the Secretariat of the Union for the Mediterranean works towards the construction of motorways, the modernisation of railway systems and the development of logistic platforms and motorways of the sea in the region. Particular attention is devoted to cooperation in the areas of maritime transport and urban development. The UfM Secretariat has coordinated the elaboration of the “UfM Euro-Mediterranean Sustainable Urban Development Strategy” and actively works on the identification, labelling and promotion of specific urban pilot projects.
- Facilitating transport and mobility over land & sea
- Promoting sustainable and innovative urban projects
- Propel the Trans-Mediterranean Transport Network by providing permanent technical support and mobilising available funds
- Promote regional projects contributing to foster long-term growth and regional integration
- Advance a Euro-Mediterranean Sustainable Urban Development Strategy
- Identify and promote innovative urban projects along with UfM institutional partners under the framework of the Urban Projects Finance Initiative (UPFI)